Thursday, September 13, 2007

Gotta Love Change!

Why is change so feared? If we lived in a world where nothing changed what would that be like? Things must change, we must adapt...we cannot remain stagnant in life or the world will pass us by. In science they say that you must adapt to your surroundings to live and more than that, to thrive. Yes, I'm sure you could just 'make it by' without adapting but what kind of life would that be. Would you be living or would you just be alive? We don't live the same way they did 100 years ago...for example, we eat differently based on our knowledge of what is healthy. We communicate differently...we just plain live differently!

I believe the same thing applies to church. This is why I love being a part of a changing church. A church that is not afraid to adapt to the culture around it to reach people. How can you reach people using techniques used 100 years ago? Who is going to respond to that?

I can definitely relate to this...I did not grow up in church. I remember when C3 started to make all the changes...I asked Matt, Can they do that? Can church be like that?? But let me tell you I was asking out of amazement...not disappointment! I had no idea that church could be exciting...fun and I had no idea that kids could actually like church! Whoa...what a possibility!

Matt grew up in church...Him and his brother used to beg their parents to not make them go to church on Sunday mornings. Why should it be like that? It definitely doesn't have to be, and I think C3 shows that every Sunday! Part of the reason that C3 can grab kids attention is because they can adapt and change.

Of course this doesn't mean change what the Bible says. That is the one thing that never changes, and C3 stays true to that, also. They just communicate what the Bible says in a way that people, regular people, can relate to. You don't have to know every verse or have all kinds of knowledge that you can just have but not actually use! C3 shows us how to apply the things the Bible teaches. That is what people really need...Not just a bunch of facts, but how to actually live life!

All that to say, I love change...It rocks!

2 comments:

Angie Bledsoe said...

Wow - I'm gonna tell Byron to let you preach one Sunday! Way to break it down. LuvYa. Angie

Monica Hunt said...

Thanks, Angie! Of course, me speaking on a Sunday morning will never happen! :) We've been through that, remember?! ha ha :)
Love ya, too!